Tuesday, February 17, 2015
Ratatouille (/ˌrætəˈtuːiː/ rat-ə-TOO-ee; French: [ʁataˈtuj]) is a traditional French Provençal stewed vegetable dish, originating in Nice. The full name of the dish is ratatouille niçoise.
The word ratatouille comes from Occitan ratatolha and the recipe comes from Occitan cuisine. Ratatouille originated in the area around present day Occitan Provença (French: Provence) and Niça (French: Nice); the Catalan samfaina and the Majorcan tombet are versions of the same dish. The southern Italian ciambotta is a related spring vegetable dish.
To read more click the link below:
Piperade Mixture/ Sauce:
1 Onion chopped
2 Carrots unpeeled and grated
4 Celery sticks
1 Tablespoons Minced garlic
1 Red bell pepper Charred, peeled, seeds and ribs removed
1 yellow bell pepper charred, peeled , seeds and ribs removed
2 Red chillies charred, peeled, seeds and ribs removed. (Optional)
850 grams tomato sauce
2-3 Tablespoons Olive oil
6 Fresh basil leaves.
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 Zucchinis sliced
2 Japanese or Chinese eggplants sliced
6 Roma tomatoes sliced
Procedure for the piperade mixture:
1. Saute the onion with the olive oil until translucent ( do not brown). Add the celery, carrots, garlic and continue to saute until softened.
2. Mix in the bell peppers,chillies and the tomato sauce.
Add salt and pepper to taste, then simmer until done. Add the basil leaves. Set aside
3. In a blender, blend the whole mixture into a thick sauce. Pour the mixture into a large pan (oven proof) / casserole dish.
To Assemble the ratatouille:
4. Take a slice of each vegetable, put them together and stick them half way in the sauce
5. Repeat the process until the pan is full of vegetables in a circular or preferred design.
6. Finally, drizzle some olive oil on top, salt, pepper and some dried herbs (basil, oregano and thyme). Cover with an aluminium foil.
7. Bake it in the oven (300 F for about 2 hours). Remove the foil and bake for 45 minutes at 350 F to caramelize. Serve and Enjoy.
Contributed by: Gabriel Eli Ndegwa
If yellow squash is available you can add it for this recipe
Now, it is time to watch the ratatouille movie :)