Wednesday, July 30, 2014
Health Benefits of Onion
Onions are very common kitchen staples. But there’s a lot more than meets the eye. Like their pungent taste and smell, onions have extraordinarily powerful health benefits. Here are some of the many:
1. They have phytochemicals that enhance the effectiveness of Vitamin C in the body. That means better body resistance to sickness.
2. They have chromium that helps blood sugar regulation.
3. Like garlic, onions have antimicrobial element called allicin. They can be used as first aid remedies for cuts or wounds. Crush a half of onion (you can add raw honey for better results) and apply on the wound. Leave on for 20 minutes and wash off.
4. Did you know that onions stimulate the production of good cholesterol (HDL)? It keeps your heart fit and well.
5. Got stung by a defensive honeybee? Apply onion juice on the inflicted area to feel relieved from pain and burning sensation.
6. See those bright green tops sprouting from onion bulbs? They are rich in vitamin A! Use them often in your cooking.
7. Flavonoid quercetin, an antioxidant found in onions, helps to get rid of free radicals. It also protects and aids our body to regenerate vitamin E.
I know you got teary-eyed with these heart-touching health benefits. Wipe your tears and start chopping onions now. Surely you will never look at them in the same way again. :)
Onions are toxic to your dog!