“Sisig” (see’ seeg) is an original Filipino recipe started by folks from the country’s northern part, Pampanga.This one is sisig with a twist from the ingredient specialist who shared this recipe to us.
Recipe type: Starter
Number of serving: 15 servings
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Ready in: 1 h, 15 m
Difficulty: Very Easy
1 kilo skin-on pork mask (if available OR 1 kilo skin-on picnic shoulder)
¼ kilo lightly boiled chicken liver (semi cooked ; Mash to a paste state. Set aside)
Flavor enhancers :
70 ml cane vinegar
5 grams salt
2 grams cracked black pepper
1 bulb large white onion (finely chopped ; Set aside ½)
1 clove garlic (crushed ; Set aside)
2 pcs red cayenne (or Jalapeno pepper finely chopped)
50 ml soy sauce
20 ml lemon juice
15 ml palm oil
Grilling/serving medium :
20-25 pieces pita bread (roll)
1. De-hair and clean well meat. Boil to “bite-friendly” tenderness but not to the point of disintegration.
2. In fiery red charcoal, while tossing and tumbling boiled meat as needed, grill enough to sear or turn skin dark brown. Slice and cut into 4 pieces per square inch. Set aside.
3. In a suitable frying pan, heat palm oil. Add in crushed garlic, toss until brown, dump the ½ chopped onion-mix and tumble until translucent. Remove or strain cooked solids. Set aside this “flavored oil”.
4. In a bowl, in this sequence and while tossing constantly, mix cut meat, chicken liver paste, vinegar, soy sauce, salt, black and red peppers. Mix well. In the same frying pan with “flavored oil” pour in meat mixture and lightly heat tumbling well to avoid sticking to bottom of pan.
5. Remove pan from heat and lastly, add in lemon juice and the other ½ chopped onion. Tumble. Heat very lightly pita bread until little brown spots appear in still live charcoal or at direct fire from gas stove.
6. Lay flat unto plate and pour in 50 grams “Sisig”. Roll as shown in picture.
7. Cut into 2-3 pieces if desired. Garnish. Serve.
NOTE: Sisig is best paired with steamed rice, roll into log or wedge unto your home made crepe
Click the link below and learn more about this recipe.