There so many kinds of suman, and suman sa lihiya is one of them, I like the texture of this suman and that is because of the lye water or lihiya mixed in it. You should be careful in making this suman because if you are wrong in the measurement of lye water it has a bitter taste on the suman. So just follow the measurement carefully.
Ingredients for 7 servings:
wilted bananan leaves
3 cups Glutinous Rice
1 tablespoon Lye water ( do not add more or else it has an after taste)
2 cups coconut milk
1. Soak the rice with coconut milk for 4 hours then drain until the liquid is totally gone.
2. Add the lye water to the rice then mix well until the rice will be yellowish, this is now ready to be wrapped.
3. Put 1 1/2 teaspoon of the rice in a wilted banana leaves then wrap properly. After wrapping tie it by pair using a leftover banana leaves.
4. Put in a pot and cover it with water and cook until done . ( Around 1 hour and a half). Just cook over medium heat when it is already boiling. After 90 minutes check if the suman is fully cooked. If not, tie it back and continue cooking.Remove from water when it is done.
5. Serve with latik sauce or just with sugar.