How can I differentiate afritada from menudo, mechado and caldereta? Can you? Well the menudo is sliced smaller than afritada, then caldereta is bigger than afritada, while mechado has fats and darker in color. Caldereta has pineapple, afritada does not have pineapple, but all of these related dishes uses tomato sauce as its soup base. When I cooked this my guest told me not to put a lot of vegetables :-) so here is how I cater my friend's request.
Ingredients for 6 servings:
1/2 kilo pork
2 carrots ( cubed)
1 bell pepper (cubed)
4 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
1. Saute the garlic and onion then add the pork and simmer until the pinkish color is gone.
2. Add the soy sauce and tomato sauce then simmer for few minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add water and let it boil, then add the potatoes simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Add the carrots, bell pepper, salt and pepper then simmer until over high heat when its almost dry turn off the heat.
5. Serve hot with a smile :-).