Pan de sal is a Spanish term for "salt bread" it is the most popular breakfast bread in the Philippines, as early as 4:00 o'clock in the morning you can hear the vendors shouting "PANDESAL" around the neighborhood. The coffee in the houses are ready and the people are waiting for that shout and they are ready to buy the bread. I think there is nothing as good as the homemade freshly bake pandesal. So here is the recipe for it.
Ingredients:3 cups flour
1 tablespoon yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 egg ( beaten)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup melted butter
4 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup milk
Procedure:1. Combine the flour, sugar and salt, set aside.
2. Combine the warm water and yeast ( let it stand for 8 minutes allowing the yeast to be dissolved and grow)
3. Combine procedure 1 & 2 then add the egg, milk and butter and mix well and knead it until you form a firm dough.
4. Let the dough rise for an hour by putting it in a big deep bowl and cover it with a damp cloth.
5. After procedure #4 roll the dough until you form a long roll, and slice it diagonally about an inch size each slice.
6. Sprinkle each slice with bread crumbs then let it stand for 40 minutes allowing it to rise then bake at 150 degrees celcius for 15 minutes. ( Preheat the oven for 10 minues before baking)
7. Serve it hot and with a smile :-)
It is my first time to try this, and I am happy with the result but I want to do it again and improve it more:-) Have fun baking!